Transitional housing and services are provided to youth transitioning out of the foster care system from all over Texas.
Initial contact for services is made through the young adult’s caseworker. Availability is determined through the initial call with the caseworker. The most recent psychology evaluation and/or criminal history is requested to determine placement If the young adult meets the requirements, the young adult takes the next step to fill out an intake form. Finally, an interview is set up with Sondra’s Song case manager.
The interview with the young adult determines the first step toward their transition. Key issues discussed in the interview are: Age (for eligibility), Education, Family Relations, Goals and Challenges
- Intake process- referral from CPS caseworker
- Evaluation of applicant
- Set up move-in day
- Allow the resident a week to settle in and determine their goals for the transition
- After the first week of the move-in date, individual goals are set and evaluated on a weekly basis.
Types of Services
- Fully equipped house
- Assist in education
- Vocational training
- Utility Assistance
- Drivers license
- Health Issues
- Life Skills- Cooking, cleaning, hygiene
- Parking Permits- Texas Tech
- Books – South Plains College
- Graduation Celebration
- Christmas gifts
- Baby Showers
- Vehicle assistance
- And more….
Get Involved with Sondra’s Song
You can volunteer at our events or get involved in other ways. We are constantly looking for support in any way that you can provide. Above all, relationships are the most important. You can volunteer at our office or mentor our kids.